A quick checklist to review for anyone considering investing in mobile technology.
There is often an unfortunate assumption made by companies looking to invest in mobile solutions. The thinking goes like this: do a quick Google search, scan a list of features and benefits, pick the option with the least expensive user license fees, and that’s that.
But in our experience, the clients who are the happiest with their mobile solution and continue to use it, take a different approach. In fact, if you examine our most satisfied customers, you will find they all share some common characteristics. Regardless if they are in the courier, manufacturing or asset tracking industry, these same characteristics keep showing up.
Here is a quick checklist to review if you are considering investing in mobile technology:
(1) You Are Looking To Improve Process, Not Just Technology
Anytime a client’s driving motivation is to enhance or create actual process; we know it is a positive sign. Technology is as only as good as the process it supports, and when you support an improved process with great technology, it is a win.
(2) You Are Ready to Get Your Hands Dirty
Peeling back the various layers of business rules and mobile workflows will mean a bit of investment and up-front commitment. However, without this critical step, even the best mobile technology will struggle to deliver at some point. But, when you are willing to set aside several hours per week to lay out requirements and expectations, it is a clear indicator you are heading in the right direction.
(3) You Have A Point Person
Identifying a single point of contact who “owns” the project within your company is a very strategic move. Not only does this cut down on miscommunications and confusion, but it also bolsters the place mobile technology holds within the company as this person becomes the resident expert and champions the new approach.
(4) You Are In Pain
Yes, in this case, pain is a good sign. Recognition that your existing process is a detriment to the company only provides more motivation to ensure that the new approach is executed rightly. Lasting change only comes when the pain of staying the same becomes unbearable overtakes any inconvenience of change.
So, how did you do on your quick review?
- 4 out of 4: What are you waiting for? Why are you still reading? Let’s go!
- 3 out of 4: Not bad. It sounds like you are well on your way to introduce a mobile logistics solution into your company.
- 2 out of 4: OK, could be worse. Perhaps it would be wise to evaluate the boxes you couldn’t check on this list and ask some questions within your team.
- 1 out of 4: Sounds like you have some more research to do. What are the gaps? What is keeping you from the essential elements of this checklist?